Wanted: Release Engineer
January 3, 2008
Renkoo is looking for a Release Engineer with operations experience. You will be in charge of getting our applications out into production and play a supporting role in keeping them running. If you enjoy learning new things and have a passion for developing cutting-edge methods for managing complex large-scale systems, then this job is for you. This job is core to our engineering team and reports to our Web Operations Manager.
To qualify for this position, you must be reliable, good at documentation, willing to help others, and interested in learning new technologies and methods.
- Deploying multiple web applications on a weekly schedule.
- Update and/or replace our existing deployment infrastructure.
- Helping plan deployments for new applications and major application updates.
- Working closely with Development and Operations to ensure smooth release cycles.
- Documenting deployment plans and application architectures.
- Helping manage growth by generating usage reports.
- Occasional second-tier on-call duty.
- 2-5 years Build/Release experience.
- Experience deploying website applications to clustered environments.
- Experience with package managements systems and package creation on Linux.
- Experience managing version control systems. Subversion preferred.
- Scripting expertise in Shell, Perl, PHP, or Python (multiple a plus) and willingness to pick up new ones.
- Experience setting up and maintaining database clusters (MySQL replication double plus good).
- An understanding of protocols running over TCP (especially HTTP) and an ability to debug networking and network application problems.
- A fundamental understanding of what makes web applications scalable and why throwing hardware at a problem is not the right answer.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services: EC2, S3, Mechanical Turk.
- Knowledge of Facebook Platform apps.
- Experience scaling Ajax-based applications (especially OpenSocial).
- Basic SQL query skills.
- An understanding of make files and compiling binary applications from source.
- Experience administering Linux-based servers (CentOS, RedHat, Debian, etc).
- An understanding of network topologies and network equipment configuration.
- Experience with automated web testing tools (Selenium a plus).
If you’re qualified (or know someone appropriate), please send a resume with subject “RELEASE ENGINEER” to
jobs -at- renkoo -dot- net
Our Redwood City crib is a half hour from San Jose or San Francisco by Caltrain, and walking distance from lots of great restaurants. 🙂