June 29, 2007
With so many fun things to do on Renkoo, sometimes it’s easy to forget about the basics of your account. Today we’ve added an Actions widget to the top left of your Dashboard that helps you get those preferences in order. Even better, each action opens in an overlay within the Dashboard, allowing quick updates, no page refresh, and low carbs. Now that’s refreshment!
Here’s just some of the fun you can have with those actions: change your Renkoo skin, add another email address to your account, even add IM or SMS notifications. It’s all within easy reach.
Ahhh yes, we’ve saved the best update for last. By popular demand, you can now choose among our fun-loving Renkoo mascots for your buddy icon. Thanks to our Actions widget, we now have a home for the Change Your Buddy Icon feature.
With just a couple of clicks you can select from a veritable plethora of avatar happiness. Choose from four exciting categories: Plays on Land, Flies in the Sky, Swims in the Sea, and Odds and Ends (mostly robots for now). It’s time to get personalized!
One of my favorite parts of Renkoo is our social event type icons. They’re cute and shiny little pictures of the event you’re planning, from a plate of bacon and eggs for breakfast, to the sparkly disco ball for dancing. And while we had quite a few icons to start with, we know that Renkoo users plan lots of diverse social activities. Now, we’ve added another handful of social event icons, so that you can choose a more specific social event type, and you’re not stuck using other. Here’s a list of the new icons (and if you’re feeling motivated to try them, click the picture to plan that type of event):
- There’s nothing quite like having afternoon tea with your close friends, complete with the ubiquitous cucumber sandwiches and delightful French pastries.
- Ah, how could we call ourselves Northern Californians, if we didn’t have our beloved wine?
- My own personal favorite meal – where else can you get lobster sauteed into your scrambled eggs?
- We came up with this one when we all wanted to go out for gelato, but didn’t quite have the right icon. Now, we have it, and we can go out for gelato or cheesecake or key lime pie or…(you get the picture!)
- Fine literature, great conversation, interesting people – what more could you ask for?
- Don’t you know knitting’s not just for grandmothers and expectant mothers anymore? With all sorts of fun yarn and fashion-forward patterns, it’s been extremely popular recently. What could be more satisfying than wearing a custom creation that you made yourself?
- The 2008 elections will be here sooner than you know. Until then, there are plenty of conventions, fundraisers, petitions, and other ways to make your voice heard. Take action, call your friends to participate, and don’t miss out on the democratic process.
- You know, we had an icon for an art museum/art gallery outing, but not for a more general museum – the kind with dinosaurs’ bones and exhibitions on ancient civilizations. Now we do, so you can learn as much about T-Rexes or ancient Rome as you want!
- Sometimes, there’s a speaker that simply can’t be missed. Whether it’s your favorite actor, artist, author, professor, CEO, or scientist, plan the event with Renkoo!
Lots more are in the works, so stay tuned. Do you have a favorite social event type that we don’t have yet? Contact us and we’ll see what we can do. In the meantime, enjoy the new icons!
June 14, 2007
When you go to your Invites list today, you’ll notice something looks a little, well, absent. For starters, you’ll notice that only upcoming events will appear in My Invites. But where did your old invites go?
Today we’ve launched a much ballyhooed feature called Remember that helps you relive the good times of events that have already taken place. Think of it as your post-event forum where you and other guests can reconnect, share memories, post URLs to photos, and view the event details. It’s a great place to post lost and found items too.
To access your Remember list go to (you guessed it) our new navigation and click Events: Remember. All your old events will appear here listed in reverse chronological order. You might notice that some events that you deleted in the past will appear here too. If you no longer want to remember an event, simply click the ‘X’ button, just like your My Invites page.
The Remember page contains all the information you need to reconnect with other guests. All the event details will be present including an area to post comments for all the guests and host to see. Just like the comments field on Profiles and Place pages, you can add URLs and some limited HTML formatting such as <b> bold and <i> italic. This is a great place to add links to photos of your event, movies, and blog posts. Even better, if your event took place at a public place, we provide an easy way to add the place as a Keeper.
Attention hosts! When you plan an event, you’ll now see a “Don’t create a Remember” check box above the Send Invite button. Only check this box if you don’t want a Remember page created after your event takes place. If you don’t check the box, we will send an email to you and your guests when the Remember page is ready for viewing. There’s even a place for you to leave a note thanking your guests.
Now, go get your Remember on!
June 8, 2007
Get ready for a fun treat when you log in to Renkoo. We’ve just added a brand spankin’ new dashboard to keep you up to date on everything happening in your Renkoo world.
The Dashboard keeps you informed on all recent changes that have taken place across the site and in your sphere of influence. A ‘Recent Activity’ section includes comments added to your profile and comments you’ve posted to places and public profiles. We even threw in your recent Keepers to boot! Just like your profile, this whole section is also available as a handy dandy RSS feed.
In the coming weeks we’ll be releasing plenty of new features on your dashboard; and don’t forget, we’re always taking requests.
In related news, Renkoo is now organized in four areas: Me, Events, Places, and Fun.
At last, a quick way to navigate to your favorite Renkoo services and find new ones that were previously a challenge to find. Give it a try and, who knows, maybe you’ll come up with an excuse to use our Place Search, quickly find a place for lunch, or join the thousands who have already downloaded our new Firefox Toolbar. Seriously, who knew navigation could be so entertaining?